Feline lovers know that each cat has their own individual personality. Some are playful, some aloof. Some remain kittenish their entire life, while others seem born with a wise and understanding soul. They can be trouble-makers, angels, demanding divas, or best pals.
As unique as they are, cats also boast an exceptional set of characteristics that set them apart from every other species on the planet, including other domesticated animals. What makes them so special?
Check out our top ten favorite feline facts to find out!
Our Top 10 Favorite Cat Facts
- 10. A male cat is a tom, as you may know. A female cat is a molly. And an entire group is called a clowder. A group of kittens is called a kindle.
- 9. Cat nose prints are as unique as human fingerprints.
- 8. Cats can detect sound more acutely than humans can–no surprise–but they also have an even finer sense of hearing than dogs.
- 7. While many cats lack eyelashes, whiskers are extremely important. They’re used to gauge spatial dimensions.
- 6. In some parts of the world–Australia and Japan, for example–black cats are considered a sign of good luck.
- 5. Cats may hiss–or even spit–at fellow cats, but they save their meows for communicating with people.
- 4. Cats lose their “baby teeth” when they are six months old.
- 3. While there are about ten different vocalizations a dog is able to make, cats can make over 100 vocal sounds—meow!
- 2. Cats have been known to run at speeds upwards of 30 mph.
- 1. The brain of a cat is biologically closer to a human brain than it is to that of a dog.
What’s your favorite cat fact from the list? Do you have another fascinating feline fact that we missed? Let us know in the comments below!