As much as we love our cats, they can turn just about anything into their own personal scratchpad. From furniture and clothing to shower curtains, nothing is safe. We’ve all had our backs turned while hearing those claws retract from something they shouldn’t. Luckily, there is a solution – cat scratchers. Read on for our list of the best of the best.
Kitty City Cat Scratcher
There are two things cats absolutely love: laying down and scratching whatever they can sink their claws into. The Kitty City Wide Cat Scratcher provides them with the best of both worlds. Not only is this scratcher wide enough for them to lay on, but the non-toxic paper also provides them with hours of claw-friendly workouts. As a bonus, this scratcher comes in packs of three, ultimately saving you unwanted time and money at the local pet store.
- Plenty of room to claw and rest on
- Available in a 3-pack
- Made from recycled cardboard
- Pads are glued in and therefore can’t be replaced
- The scratching surface is only one-sided
PetFusion Ultimate Cat Scratcher Lounge
The PetFusion Ultimate Cat Scratcher Lounge delivers on its promise. With a chez lounge and scratchpad rolled into one, your cat will love this oversized distraction. Made of recycled cardboard and non-toxic corn starch glue, this scratcher/lounge combo is also easy on the eyes. Its sleek design sets it apart from generic pads, allowing the scratcher to blend in with your natural decor.
- It’s a lounge and cat scratcher rolled into one
- Made from recycled cardboard and non-toxic corn starch glue
- Sleek design sets it apart from generic scratch pads
- The large surface allows for more than one cat at a time
- On the pricier end of scratch pads
- Larger and heavier than the average cat scratcher
- Cardboard can shed rather easily
PetnPurr Cactus Cat Scratcher
No carpet is off-limits when it comes to your cat’s natural instinct to claw. So why not make a scratcher from carpet-like material? Well, that’s exactly what PetnPurr did. They even took it up a notch by designing this pad to resemble a cactus. Yes, there’s even a built-in dangling poofy ball for extra cat distraction. The sturdy base also provides enough support for those extra bursts of energy at 3 AM.
- Constructed with carpet-like material
- Resembles a plant
- Easy to assemble
- One of the more decorative scratching posts
- Carpet-like material is attached by staples, which, over time, cats can pull out
- Not the most durable of scratchers
GoPets Premium Cat Scratcher With Infinity Lounge
With this premium scratcher, your cat can simultaneously lounge while feeding its natural urge to claw. What sets this pad apart from the rest is the added insert, which helps this scratcher last about four times longer than most other options. Made with recycled corrugated cardboard, this cat scratcher is recyclable even after your cat is done with it to minimize your carbon footprint. Better yet, this pick is lightly infused with catnip to keep your cats interested in the art of scratching.
- Extra thick, long-lasting, and reversible with an insert, this pad can last up to four times longer than traditional cat scratchers
- Environmentally-friendly materials and recyclable
- Cat bed and scratcher rolled into one, so you may catch your feline friends snoozing on it
- On the smaller side
- No solid layer to catch any catnip you may want to put on it
FATCAT Big Mama’s Scratch ‘n Play Ramp
With a catnip-infused toy, your feline companions won’t tire of this scratcher. And the title says it all: “Scratch ‘n Play Ramp With Reversible Cardboard Toy and Catnip” – that’s pretty much a cat-trifecta. Not to mention, the ramp can double as a cozy lounge spot or leaning post, whichever your feline desires. So when it comes to creativity, FATCAT hits the mark.
- The scratchpad is reversible, so it lasts twice as long
- Made from 100% recyclable materials
- With the scratcher, catnip, and toy, this option is a 3-in-1 distraction for your cat
- Great source of exercise
- The metal cord attached to the catnip-infused toy is easily bendable
- Cardboard tears apart easily
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I invest in a cat scratcher?
Cat scratchers save your furniture, checkbook, and sanity. Cats love to dig their claws into any surface with traction – these scratchpads are designed for that. Plus, it gives your cat a good workout in the process, which might actually help them sleep past 3 AM.
What’s one of the main features to look for in a scratchpad?
The most important is durability. Your cat will love a good scratchpad and no doubt go to town on it, so you’re going to want it to last more than one scratching session. Some cardboards are more sturdy than others, while some can easily flake away. Search for strength and see if the pad is double-sided.
How often should I change out a scratching pad?
This varies depending on how many cats you have and the durability of the cardboard. If your cat is unable to latch its claws into the cardboard, it’s time for a new pad. If claws easily sliding across the cardboard surface, that also means it’s time to switch out that scratcher for a new one.