If your furry friend inhales food faster than you can pour it, then a slow-feeder can really help make mealtimes slower and healthier. Slow-feed bowls come in a wide range of styles, all of which are designed to prevent cats from rushing their food. Some are only for wet food, while others work for either wet or dry food. Some bowls are more mentally stimulating than others, with various mazes and puzzles built-in. We understand that the decision process can be a little overwhelming, considering how many products are out there. So, to help you pick the best one for your pet, we've rounded up our favorite slow-feeder cat bowls here.
Hyper Pet IQ Treat Mat
Do you have a food-happy kitty on your hands? Get them the Hyper Pet IQ Treat Mat, which will undoubtedly help make mealtimes a more peaceful, slowed-down affair. This sleek, thoughtfully designed mat has four quadrants with different textures and raised and sunken patterns, allowing for better portion control. This mat is also dishwasher-safe and comes in four bright, stylish shades. In short, there’s a lot to love about this product.
- Very thoughtfully designed for convenience
- Easy to clean
- Helps promote calmness and relief from anxiety
- Great for overall dental hygiene and health
- Helps to improve digestion and minimize bloat
- Comes in four cute colors
- It would be nice if this product didn’t come with so much packaging
Petstages Interactive Cat Puzzle
If you’re shopping on a budget, you can’t go wrong with the Petstages Interactive Cat Puzzle. This effective, mentally stimulating slow-feeder features meal-lengthening ridges and mazes, keeping your cat engaged for longer during chow time. We love that this product is made with BPA-free materials, can be used with wet or dry food, and has a non-slip base, so your kitty doesn’t slip and slide around on the floor.
- Truly excellent value
- Does a great job of slowing your cat’s eating pace
- Helps prevent bloating and indigestion
- Can be used with either wet or dry food
- Can be easily washed with soap and water
- Made from food-safe, BPA-free materials
- Non-slip base
- It’s on the small side
Super Design Slow Feeder
Available in multiple vibrant colors and sizes, the Super Design Slow Feeder is great for making mealtimes last as long as possible, so that your kitty’s digestion improves. This melamine bowl is dishwasher-safe, relatively heavy, and doesn’t skid easily. Importantly, it also has a curved handle that makes it easy to pick up and put down.
- Makes mealtime last up to five times longer
- Does a great job of preventing gobbling, bloating, choking, etc.
- Made of food-grade, BPA-free, non-toxic materials
- Heavy-duty and non-skid
- Available in several colors and sizes
- You’ll likely have to use a small brush to really be able to clean this bowl
Lorde Slow Feeder
If your smart cat has figured out how to flip over their bowl, the Lorde Slow Feeder will come in mighty handy. This super-sturdy, heavy ceramic bowl is easily one of the most solid options available. It’ll help your cat maintain a healthy weight and add a true dose of playfulness to their normal eating routine with its fun maze shape. This bowl is also more durable than most, which is always a huge plus.
- Made of high-quality, rust-resistant ceramic
- Too heavy to easily tip over
- Prolongs meal time to prevent indigestion
- Maze shape adds an element of playfulness and fun to your pet’s mealtime
- Doesn’t have a non-slip bottom
wangstar Slow Feeder
Equally well-suited for cats and dogs, the wangstar Slow Feeder features an intricate ridge design that your pets must eat around, effectively slowing them down. This bowl features a non-slip design, to prevent your cat or dog from moving while eating. And, we really appreciate that this fun feeder is made from non-toxic plastic materials.
- Made of heavy-duty, long-lasting materials
- The swirl pattern is designed to vastly slow down rapid eating and prevent choking
- Non-slip design
- Easy to clean
- A little pricey
Frequently Asked Questions
Will my cat lose weight with a slow feeder?
Slow feeders deliberately make it more challenging for your cat to eat their food, which can help reduce the number of calories that they’re ingesting. Over time, this can help your kitty lose weight, but you should also make sure that your cat has plenty of stimulating toys and space to play to ensure optimal health and weight loss.
What are some considerations to make when I’m searching for the best cat slow feeder?
Slow-feed cat bowls come in a variety of sizes and designs, so just ensure that the feeder you choose is compatible with the type of food you give your cat. If you only give your cat dry food, then something with super-shallow ridges might not work. If you give your cat wet food, just be sure not to get a feeder that requires the kitty to use its paws (these types of feeders are only suitable for dry food). And, a nonslip base is critical, to help prevent bowls (and your cat) from sliding around the floor.