We love our cats more than anything, which means we want them to stay happy and healthy for as long as possible. That means keeping their teeth strong, their coats shiny, and their eyes bright. To do that, it's important to choose the right food. There's a lot that goes into it, but the most important part of finding the right one is to keep it as close to their natural diet as possible. Having the right nutrition will go far in keeping your feline friend full of energy and ready for their long naps and hours of play. Your cat is important to us, too, which is why we've created this list of the best natural cat foods to help you keep them feisty for years to come.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Natural Adult Cat Food
If you want a high-protein food that’s as close to a cat’s natural diet as possible, Blue Buffalo Wilderness Natural Adult Cat Food has you covered. It’s made with lots of meat and no grains, so you’re giving your feline friend more of what they need and none of what they don’t. The added Lifesource bits are full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and other ingredients that help keep your pet as healthy and happy as possible. Best of all, this dry kibble is easy to measure, so you can keep track of just how much your kitty is consuming.
- Choose from three high-quality types of meat, including duck, chicken, and salmon
- You can get a bag as small as two pounds or as large as 12 pounds, making it easier to feed multiple cats
- This food has everything a cat needs for a balanced diet
- It’s on the pricier side
- This food isn’t ideal for cats with sensitive tummies
Blue Buffalo Sensitive Stomach Natural Cat Food
Like many humans, some cats have sensitive tummies. For those kitties, we turn to Blue Buffalo Sensitive Stomach Natural Cat Food. Real meat, whole grains, and high-quality prebiotics come together to form a nutritious diet for your cat that’s gentle on their stomach. There are lots of added benefits, too. It supports their immune system while helping them maintain a healthy weight. Omega fatty acids mean their skin and coat will never look or feel better, either.
- This food is both healthy and tasty, unlike many other sensitive stomach foods
- All-natural ingredients help your cat feel their best
- You can get either a small bag for one cat or a larger bag for multiples
- There’s only one flavor available
- It works great for tummy issues, but it doesn’t help with skin allergies
Purina Cat Chow Naturals
House cats are prone to becoming overweight, which is why paying close attention to their diet and adjusting it as needed is so important. If they start to get a bit chunky, you may want to check out Purina Cat Chow Naturals. It’s perfect for keeping your kitty’s weight in check, and it has the added benefit of improving their coats and preventing hairballs. The best part? It has no artificial flavors or preservatives, so you will always be confident that they’re safe and healthy.
- Super affordable
- Most cats love the taste, even those who tend to be picky
- The completely balanced recipe keeps lazy felines in great shape
- It doesn’t use the absolute highest-quality ingredients, although the protein source is awesome
- Sensitive stomachs don’t always agree with it
Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Raw Dinner Morsels
Evidence has shown that the closer you can get to a cat’s natural diet, the healthier they’ll be. And what could be closer to nature than raw? We can’t think of anything, which is why Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Raw Dinner Morsels is one of our favorite food choices. The recipes all include 98-percent meat, including muscle, organ, and bone. That’s precisely what they’d get in the wild. From there, they’ve added vitamins and probiotics for an extra boost for their immune system and digestion. It’s all done in small batches for fantastic quality control.
- There are six recipes, so you’re sure to find one your cat loves
- Raw meat that’s been freeze-dried is safer than fresh raw and healthier than kibble
- This food is one of the closest you can get to feeding your cat all-fresh meat
- It’s very expensive, especially if you plan to feed it to more than one cat
- You may need to soak it for best results, which means you need prep time to feed your cat
Feline Natural Canned Cat Food
Many vets and breeders agree that canned cat food is the healthiest shelf-stable food available for cats. That’s because most kitties don’t like drinking water, so they often become dehydrated. That can lead to lots of health problems. Canned food also usually includes a lot more meat than kibbles. Feline Natural canned cat food is one of the best canned foods out there. It’s grain-free and packed full of grass-fed and free-range meats. As a bonus, there are no gelling agents or fillers.
- Nine flavors and several case sizes make it a convenient choice for one cat or several
- The recipe includes 98-percent fresh meat, organs, and bone to keep it close to natural
- It hydrates your cat while filling its tummy
- The cost can make it hard to afford for many cat owners
- Some cats don’t like every recipe, so you may need to sample a few before buying it by the case
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is it important to feed my cat natural food?
Just like with humans, a cat’s diet and health are intimately connected. Natural foods leave out the preservatives and fillers that many lower-quality alternatives often include, making them a better choice overall. Also, in general, cats like the taste of natural foods better, too.
What type of food is best for my cat?
There is no one-size-fits-all choice when it comes to food for your cat. The best choice for them will depend on a few factors. First, you’ll need to figure out your budget. Once you’ve done that, you can move on and start thinking about your cat’s flavor preferences, health issues, and habits. For example, a cat with a sensitive stomach that avoids water will do best with wet canned food containing no fillers or hard-to-digest ingredients. On the other hand, a healthy cat that drinks water regularly but is picky about taste may prefer freeze-dried foods.
About the Author
About the Site
Since 2008, CatTime has provided millions of cat owners with all the information they need to keep their pets happy and healthy. Our experts know exactly what it takes to raise our furry friends and our goal is to help all owners, new or experienced, care for their cats with all the right food, toys, equipment, and accessories.