Frontline Plus Flea and Tick Treatment for Cats
Looking for a full formula for protecting against fleas, ticks, and lice? For twenty years, this has been the trusted source.
Find on Amazon
Available in 3 different dose sizes (3 dose, 6 dose, and 8 dose packages), your cat will be fully protected from ticks, fleas, flea eggs, larvae, and lice…keeping everything from minor skin annoyances to skin infections to more serious illnesses such as Lyme disease at bay. Essentially, your kitty will be fully protected, and because they won’t be bringing any fleas, ticks, or lice into your home, you’ll be fully protected, too. And although the chemicals that are put into such treatments are heavy-duty, Frontline Plus has been the leading and most trusted source of protection by veterinarians for 20 years. Now that’s something we can feel pretty good about.
- This specialized formula is stored in your feline’s oil glands. After application, you’ll have a fully protected cat for 30 days. Each dose lasts for the full 30 days, so a 3 month supply lasts for 3 months (and a 6 dose supply for 6 months, and an 8 dose for 8 months).
- Can be used on cats and kittens from 8 weeks and up.
- Fully waterproof formula.
- Frontline Plus breaks the full flea life cycle–fully destroying the next generation of fleas by going after and killing the flea eggs and larvae. This helps to prevent a full infestation in your home and on your kitty.
- Pesticide use comes with a handful of risks. This is a toxic product, and some animals have had adverse reactions. It’s important to speak with your veterinarian for best practices when it comes to flea and tick prevention for cats.
Bayer Animal Health Advantage II for Large Cats
For larger felines, you're going to need a specific formula. This solution is excellent for cats over 9 pounds.
Find on Amazon
This six month supply for larger cats (any cat over 9 pounds) is super easy to apply, offers complete flea and tick prevention, and will kill fleas on contact. In fact, within the first 12 hours you’ll have full protection for 30 days. Fleas can be a real nuisance to get rid of, whether on your pet or with an infestation in your home. With proper usage, this formula kills the eggs, larvae, and adults to thoroughly and completely break down the flea life cycle.
And one serious pro we can’t forget about? Pesticides and chemicals come with a bit of a nasty smell. This is a fragrance-free formula, making application easy on everyone.
- Fully waterproof after 24 hours.
- Veterinarian recommended, but always speak with them prior to application.
- Package contains 6 monthly doses.
- You’ll need a separate medication for protecting against ticks.
Bayer Animal Health Advantage II for Small Cats
While the solution above is best for large cats, this one works specifically for cats 5-9 pounds.
Find on Amazon
Bayer Animal Health’s small cat formula works exactly the same as the one above, but just for kitties 5-9 pounds. Why does this matter? Can you use the larger formula, just less? Or this formula, but double up? Well, in a word, no. When it comes to heavy pesticide use (such as the case with virtually any formula for flea and tick prevention for cats or other animals), you’re going to want to use a very specific dosage amount. Each dosage lasts for 30 full days, so it’s important to apply the correct amount as well as for the correct weight and animal. This particular formula is especially made with a smaller feline in mind.
- With a 1-dose option, you can see if this formula will work for your cat.
- Flea treatment works to kill fleas through contact, meaning your cat will not have to be bitten in order for the fleas to die.
- As with the formula, above, you’ll need a separate formula to kill off or protect against ticks.
Bayer Animal Health Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Cats
This handy flea and tick solution looks like a collar, but acts as much more.
Best Flea and Tick Collar
Find on Amazon
Hate the idea of a topical solution to fleas or ticks? Bayer Animal Health has created the solution for you. The Seresto Flea and Tick Collar works in a similar way to a topical solution, killing fleas and ticks upon contact and protecting fully for a set amount of time. The collar is an easy solution–just fit snugly (but not too snug!) around your cat’s neck and let it be for 8 full months. The collar itself is odorless, non-greasy, and will begin to repel and kill fleas within the first 24 hours of fitting the collar.
- Full protection against the flea and flea life cycle, as well as full protection against ticks. Because it works on contact, your pet will not bring in any unwanted fleas and ticks into the house (nor will they have to be bitten in order for this solution to work).
- We don’t love that the collar is on 100% of the time. If you love to snuggle up to your kitty (who doesn’t?), the collar can be a bit of a hassle. If you have kids, they’ll need to not touch the collar, either.
Sentry Pet Care Fiproguard for Cats
Flea and tick prevention for cats shouldn't break the bank. This solution works just as well as the more expensive, pricey brands for a fraction of the cost.
Find on Amazon
Not in the cards to dish out expensive monthly animal care bills? Hey, we get it. But we also love our pets, and protecting them just comes along with the territory of having an animal as part of your family. Which is why, when it comes to a budget-friendly solution for flea and tick prevention for cats, Sentry Pet Care’s Fiproguard for Cats is the ideal formula. This topical solution will fully protect your sweet feline against fleas, ticks, and chewing lice for up to a full 30 days…at a fraction of the cost.
- 1 six month supply of waterproof formula.
- Easy-t0-apply topical solution.
- Some cat owners have found that this solution works when other solutions cause allergic reactions.
- As with all of these formulas, you’ll want to discuss with your trusted veterinarian which is the right formula for your cat. This is a toxic formula that should only be used as recommended by your vet.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to treat my cat if they’re an indoor cat?
Flea and tick prevention for cats is important regardless of where your cat spends its time. Yes, this means even an indoor cat. Other pets and animals, as well as yourself, can bring in fleas and ticks from the outdoors. Talk to your veterinarian about which flea and tick prevention is best for your cat and your lifestyle.
Why is flea and tick prevention important?
Fleas and ticks can carry all sorts of diseases, infections, and discomforts or annoyances. By managing flea and tick infestations, you’re keeping your pet (and yourself!) safe from the various illnesses that can be dangerous and costly.