10 Most Common Ways Cats Are Accidentally Poisoned

Vet examining a cat.

(Picture Credit: Getty Images)

Cats can easily be accidentally poisoned by many things you probably have in or around your home. Common household items, plants, foods, medications, and chemicals can all spell disaster if your cat comes into contact with them. If your cat is poisoned, call the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-855-764-7661 or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435 and follow their instructions. Here are some ways cats are accidentally poisoned that you should be aware of.

1. Medicine

A pet owner's hand can be seen reaching out to give his cat a pill/tablet. The photo was taken from the pet owner's perspective, looking down at his Scottish Fold cat, who is expectendly looking up, and patiently waiting for her medication.

(Picture Credit: Getty Images)

There are many types of human medications and pills that can poison a cat. Antidepressants, cancer medication, cold medicine, diet pills, pain relievers, vitamins and supplements, or other medications can cause extreme sickness or death. Keep these in a secure container and store them out of reach of your cat in a firmly closing or locked cabinet or drawer. Also, keep your cat’s medication out of reach of your kitty’s paws and make sure you follow the instructions carefully when administering it.

2. Houseplants And Flowers

Rear View Of Cat Sitting At Doorway

(Picture Credit: Getty Images)

There are many kinds of houseplants and flowers that are toxic to cats. Among the most common are daffodils, lillies, azaleas, geraniums, and tomato plants, but there are many more that can be fatal for a cat if eaten. If you have a cat that is allowed outside, be cautious because several of these plants may be found in outdoor gardens. Additionally, lawns that have been treated with fertilizer can also be poisonous if your kitty likes to chew on grass.

3. Pesticides

Pesticide Application Lawn Sign

(Picture Credit: Getty Images)

Pesticides including rat poison, insect bait, and spray-on bug killers are usually poisonous for cats, too. Even if you don’t use these products on your property, they can drift from neighboring lawns and contaminate your area. In addition to pesticides used for plants, improper use of flea or tick medication can also result in poisoning. Medication meant for dogs can be especially toxic for cats, even through skin contact. Always check the labels of your flea and tick medication carefully. Do not overuse them and don’t mix up medications for different animals.

4. Wild Animals

Close-Up Of Cat With Dead Mouse

(Picture Credit: Getty Images)

Even if your cat does not directly ingest or come into contact with a pesticide, they can still get secondary poisoning from contact with an animal that has chemicals in its system. A rat or insect that has eaten poison can be a big problem for a cat, especially if your kitty likes to hunt for small prey. If you suspect pesticides are used in your area, it may be best to keep your cat indoors if they are prone to hunting.

5. Antifreeze

Portrait Of White Cat Lying Against Tire At Garage

(Picture Credit: Getty Images)

Antifreeze has a sweet smell and taste that animals tend to be attracted to. The reason it’s so dangerous, even if it’s kept in a sealed container, is that it often spills on the driveway, in the garage, or on the streets. A small dose of even half a tablespoon can be fatal. Keep your antifreeze locked away. Thoroughly clean spills and check your car for leaks. If your cat likes to roam, be aware that puddles can contain antifreeze, especially in colder months, and if your cat drinks from them, they could easily suffer antifreeze poisoning.

6. Human Foods And Drinks

Woman with glass of white wine and cat on sofa in the room

(Picture Credit: Getty Images)

There are many human foods and drinks that can be toxic for cats, especially food served at holiday meals. Alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, grapes, and the leaves of tomato and potato plants can all land your cat in the veterinary emergency room. Take precautions and keep these foods away from your cat’s reach. If you are having a holiday party, it may be best to keep your cat in another room while food is out and available.

7. Inappropriate Diets

Beautiful cat eating fresh meat outside

(Picture Credit: Getty Images)

If you are experimenting with a homemade diet or nutritional supplements for your cat, you should consult a vet before you start preparing meals. Too much of certain nutrients can end up poisoning your cat. Vitamin A, for example, can cause lethargy, constipation, weight loss, and skin allergies among other symptoms if it is ingested in high enough quantities. Vitamin D poisoning can cause vomiting, weakness, seizures, abdominal pain, and tremors. Talk to a vet about formulating a balanced diet before you try making food for your cat on your own.

8. Household Cleaners

Glass cleaning - housework

(Picture Credit: Getty Images)

Kitchen and bath surface cleaners, carpet cleaners, and toilet bowl cleaners can all be highly toxic to cats. It’s important that you don’t allow your cat near cleaned surfaces until they have completely dried. Cats can pick up chemicals on their paws, and if they lick them later, they can accidentally ingest poisons. Store all cleaners in tightly sealed containers and keep them in locked or secure cabinets. Bleaches, detergents, and disinfectants all contain poisonous chemicals.

9. Metals

red Cat and heap of coins against white

(Picture Credit: Getty Images)

Lead can be present in some consumer products, as well as old paint chips, linoleum, or surfaces in older homes. When lead dust is breathed in, it is highly toxic. Mercury, which can be present in fish like tuna or in older thermometers, can also cause serious problems for cats. Other metals like zinc, which can be found in some coins, are also poisonous. Keep these metals out of reach of your cat and avoid feeding your kitty tuna in large quantities, if at all.

10. Glow Sticks Or Liquid Potpourri

Cat litter box with the red flower - nice aroma concept

(Picture Credit: Getty Images)

Certain objects you have around your house for various reasons, like glow sticks or liquid potpourri, contain chemicals that are somewhat toxic. Glow sticks contain dibutyl phthalate, which is rarely fatal when ingested, but can cause profuse drooling. Liquid potpourri can cause chemical burns to the mouth, difficulty breathing, vomiting, tremors, or even organ damage. Make sure you keep products that contain liquid chemicals away from your cat’s reach.

What other common ways can cats be accidentally poisoned? How should cat owners take precautions? Let us know in the comments below!