As 2012 draws to a close, we took a look at the traffic on the CatTime Breed Center and formulated a list based on the most-searched cats of the year. Is your favorite feline on the list?
1. Maine Coon cats: A native New Englander, hailing from Maine, the MCC was a popular mouser, farm cat, and — most likely — ship’s cat. (2011 rank: 4)
2. Ragdoll cats: Ragdolls learn quickly and can pick up tricks as well as good behaviors such as using a scratching post…they can be challenging to groom, though. (2011 rank: 11)
3. Ragamuffin cats: Known for her docile nature, the Ragamuffin cat loves to be held like a baby and will completely relax into your arms. (2011 rank: 3)
4. Chinese Li Hua cats: The Li Hua is smart, loyal, lively, and gentle with people…she also has a reputation as a talented hunter of rats and other vermin. (2011 rank: 45)
5. Bengal cats: The Bengal could never be called delicate — he is an athlete, agile and graceful with a strong, muscular body, as befits a cat who looks as if he belongs in the jungle. (2011 rank: 9)
6. Scottish Fold cats: There is nothing a Scottish Fold — named for his folded ears — likes better than to be with his people, participating in whatever they are doing. (2011 rank: 10)
7. Abyssinian cats: A love of heights is a signal trait of the Abyssinian — she likes to be as high up as possible and appreciates having one or more ceiling-height cat trees. (2011 rank: 8)
8. Siamese cats: The sophisticated Siamese looks dressed for an elegant masquerade ball in pale evening wear with chic black accessories and tanzanite-blue eyes. (2011 rank: 12)
9. Siberian cats: A glamorous native cat from the taiga of Siberia, a forested area with a subarctic climate that no doubt contributed to this cat’s long, thick, protective coat. (2011 rank: 5)
10. Tonkinese cats: A cross of the Siamese and Burmese cat breeds, the Tonk demands attention and affection and won’t rest until she gets it. (2011 rank: 16)
For more of our year-in-review, please see CatTime’s top 10 cat news stories of 2012.
Interested in dogs? Take a look at the top 10 most popular dogs of 2012 on DogTime.com.