Welcome to CatTime.com

CATTIME LOGIN or SIGN UP

Cat saves Ohio couple from toxic gas

Tuesday September 25th, 2012

By DogTime Staff

Max_300_carbon-monoxide-cat
Life-saving cat Tiger and Michelle and Rod Ramsey. (Photo credit: Dave Polcyn/News Journal)

A Williamsport, Ohio, couple owes their life to a cat who alerted the pair to deadly carbon monoxide gas that was filling their home.

According to the Mansfield News Journal, Michelle and Rod Ramsey, both suffering from headaches, were getting ready to turn for the night at their farm residence.

Tiger, one of the Ramsey’s cats, seemed to have a different idea. The restless cat started meowing and kept crying to get outside.

“He was in the house, he's a very vocal cat and started going crazy,” Michelle told the MSJ. “He was begging me to let him outside.”

Fortunately, Michelle called the vet about another of their cats, Babes. Michelle described the situation and was asked by the veterinary assistant on the line if their furnace was running.

When she said told the VA they had turned the furnace on the day before, she was told it there was probably a gas leak and to leave the house immediately.

After a call to the fire department, the Ramseys were taken to Ohio State University Medical Center via helicopter. One of the paramedics told the couple they were lucky to be alive; they were treated and released a few hours later.

The Ramseys have 19 cats — all fixed — on their farm property; eight of the felines arrived when the economy went south.

Toxic to humans and animals, carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas. In concentrated levels that accumulate indoors, it can be lethal. Carbon monoxide detectors ($15-$60) can alert people to the presence of the gas.

comments powered by Disqus

latest news & articles

see all featured content »
Breed-center-300x90
around the web
Animal-header-cattimeclose