If you’re stuck coming up with a smart name for a cat you’ve adopted into your family, why not use The Force, channel your inner Jedi Knight, and consider naming your kitty after some of the key characters in the Star Wars film saga?
Since the first Star Wars film debuted in 1977, fans have fallen in love with the heroes and villains who introduced them to The Force, lightsabers, TIE fighters, and so much more. If you pick a cat name from this saga, you certainly wouldn’t be the only pet parent to do so.
Whether you’re celebrating Star Wars Day on May 4th–“May the Fourth be with you”–or patiently awaiting the release of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, or just looking for a name for your new best friend, here are a few of the best cat names from the Star Wars saga.
(Heads up: Plot spoilers are definitely revealed below.)
Cat Names From The Star Wars Prequels
The Star Wars prequels include Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999), Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002), and Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005). They take place before the events of the first Star Wars film released in 1977.
- Amidala (full name–Padme Amidala): Queen of Naboo and mother of Luke and Leia.
- Anakin (full name–Anakin Skywalker): Father of Luke and Leia and the Jedi who became Darth Vader after pledging his loyalty to Emperor Palpatine.
- Dooku (also known as Darth Tyranus): Secret apprentice of Darth Sidious and leader of the Separatist droid army.
- Jango (full name–Jango Fett): Assassin, bodyguard, and father of Boba Fett, a bounty hunter. Perfect for an all-action Bengal.
- Jar Jar (full name–Jar Jar Binks): A Gungan from the planet Naboo; one of the most despised characters in the Star Wars universe, but he has a pretty cute name.
- Maul (full name–Darth Maul): A Sith Lord and apprentice of Darth Sidious, Maul was defeated by Obi-Wan in a lightsaber duel.
- Qui-Gon (full name–Qui-Gon Jinn): Mentor to Obi-Wan, this Jedi master thought Anakin was the “chosen one” and was killed by Darth Maul.
- Shmi (full name–Shmi Skywalker): Mother of Anakin Skywalker.
- Windu (full name–Mace Windu): Jedi Master with a purple lightsaber played by Samuel L. Jackson.
Cat Names From The Original Star Wars Trilogy
The original trilogy includes Episode IV: A New Hope (1977), Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980), and Episode VI: The Return Of The Jedi (1983)–the first three Star Wars movies in theaters.
- Artoo (full name–R2-D2): Droid who plays a huge roll in all nine main saga movies.
- Boba (full name–Boba Fett): Galaxy’s most feared bounty hunter.
- Chewie (full name–Chewbacca): Warrior friend of Han Solo. Definitely appropriate for a long-haired kitty.
- Darth (full name–Darth Vader): Anakin after turning to the dark side. More than a few black cats have this name in tribute.
- Ewok: Bear-like inhabitants of the moon of Endor. Quite ferocious fighters.
- Greedo: Bounty hunter gunned down by Han Solo.
- Han (full name–Han Solo): Smuggler and pilot of the Millennium Falcon.
- Jabba (full name–Jabba the Hutt): Sluglike gangster. Appropriate for kitties on the larger end of the scale.
- Jedi: Protectors of peace in the galaxy. Used The Force and wielded lightsabers. You could refer to a group of three or more athletic felines as “a Jedi of cats.”
- Lando (full name–Lando Calrissian): Roguish smuggler turned leader. Often piloted the Millennium Falcon.
- Leia (full name–Princess Leia Organa): Luke’s sister. Leader of the Rebellion and the Resistance.
- Luke (full name–Luke Skywalker): Leia’s brother. Became a Jedi Knight. Saved the Rebellion.
- Obi-Wan (aka Ben Kenobi): Anakin’s mentor and friend. Sacrificed himself during a lightsaber duel with Darth Vader.
- Palpatine (full name–Sheev Palpatine, aka The Emperor or Darth Sidious): Sith Lord. Ruler of the Empire. Caused the destruction of the Republic and Jedi Order.
- Tarkin (full title–Grand Moff Tarkin): Overseer of the Death Star. Ordered the destruction Alderaan.
- Threepio (full name–C-3PO): Protocol droid. Always had much to say.
- Yoda: Jedi Master. Trained Luke on Dagobah. Perfect for wizened, elderly kitties.
Cat Names From The Star Wars Sequel Trilogy
The sequel trilogy takes place after the events of the original Star Wars movies and includes Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015), Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (2017), and the soon-to-be-released Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (2019).
- BB-8: Tiny ball droid who helped the Resistance. Guarded a map to the secret location of Luke Skywalker.
- DJ: Self-preservationist who sold to both sides of the war. Helped the highest bidder or whoever could keep him alive for longer.
- Finn (full name–FN 2187): Former stormtrooper who fled the First Order. Joined and helped the Resistance.
- Holdo (full title–Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo): Purple-haired leader who took command of the Resistance while Leia was unconscious.
- Hux (full title–General Armitage Hux): Leader of the First Order. Used Starkiller Base to destroy the Republic.
- Kylo (full name–Kylo Ren, aka Ben Solo): Son of Leia and Han. Former student of Luke. Turned to the dark side and served Snoke for a time.
- Maz (full name–Maz Kanata): Owner of a tavern and source of insider information. Lived for over 1,000 years.
- Phasma (full title–Captain Phasma): Silver-suited warrior. Served as the stormtrooper captain for the First Order.
- Poe (full name–Poe Dameron): Skilled pilot for the Resistance. His hot-headed decisions often caused problems for the people he tried to protect.
- Rey: Scavenger left in the desert of Jakku to fend for herself as a child. Grew to be powerful in The Force and fought for the Resistance.
- Rose (full name–Rose Tico): Young Resistance fighter who wanted to save the people she loved.
- Snoke (full title–Supreme Leader Snoke): Dictator who ruled the First Order. Tempted Kylo Ren to turn to the dark side.
Cat Names From Star Wars Story Films
Rogue One (2017) and Solo (2018) take place in the same universe as the main saga and feature some of the same characters but aren’t considered “Episodes” in the series. Instead, each is “A Star Wars Story.” There could be more of these films in the future.
- Andor (full name–Cassian Andor): Lifelong Rebel fighter sent on a mission to assassinate an Empire weapons creator.
- Baze (full name–Baze Malbus): Soldier and guardian of the Temple of the Kyber in Jedha City. Joined the Rogue One mission.
- Beckett (full name–Tobias Beckett): Professional thief. Mentored Han Solo for a time.
- Bodhi (full name–Bodhi Rook): Cargo pilot for the empire. He met Galen, who convinced him to defect and join the Rebellion.
- Chirrut (full name–Chirrut Îmwe): Blind, Force-sensitive monk who joined the mission to steal the Death Star plans.
- Galen (full name–Galen Walton Erso): Brilliant mathematician and scientist. Forced by the empire to create the Death Star.
- Jyn (full name–Jyn Erso): Daughter of Galen. Lived as a criminal and eventually led Rogue One on the mission to steal the Death Star plans.
- Orson (full name–Orson Krennic): Worked for the Empire in charge of weapons development. Captured Galen for that purpose.
- Qi’ra: Han Solo’s first love. Joined a crime syndicate after he left their home world.
- Vos (full name–Dryden Vos): Leader of the Crimson Dawn. Had a face with distinct scars.
If you can’t find a cat name from the list above, check out the Star Wars Extended Universe. There are plenty of comics, novels, shows, and additions to the galaxy not included in the main saga.
What’s your favorite Star Wars cat name? Does your kitty have a Star Wars-inspired name? Let us know in the comments below!