The puppy in the video above was only two days old when his mom got hit by a car and passed away. But as luck would have it, the Michigan Human Society found a cat with a litter of kittens and decided to see if she’d accept this little puppy into her family.
Thankfully, the feline family welcomed the pooch as one of their own!
This video is already a few years old, so hopefully all these fur babies have already found their forever homes. But if you’d like to adopt a sweet pet of your own or make a donation to help animals in need, check out the Michigan Humane Society and all the great work they do!
This heartwarming story might have you thinking about introducing a loving canine to your own feline family. But before you introduce a dog to your world of cats, there are a few things you should consider.
How To Introduce A New Dog To Your Resident Cat(Picture Credit: TRAVELARIUM/Getty Images)
The best thing to do is start off with a cat and dog when they’re both young. If they grow up together, they’ll have a far easier time getting along.
But maybe you’ve already got an adult kitty. How should you go about bringing a new dog home to meet them? Here are some tips:
- Consider adopting an adult or senior dog. Puppies may have too much energy for your cat.
- Pick a dog with a low prey drive. You don’t want them chasing kitty around all the time!
- Make sure your cat has a place to retreat. Some perches or kitty condos will keep them out of pup’s reach.
- Give your kitty their own space. Make sure their bed, litter, food, and water are well away from the doggo.
- Get them used to each other’s scent. Rub a cloth on each pet and place it in the other’s sleeping area or near their food bowl.
- Let them investigate each other’s hangout spots once they start to feel comfortable.
- Make the introduction through a baby gate or door. If they seem interested and sniff each other, let them meet without the baby gate, but restrain the dog just in case.
- Let them warm up to each other. These things take time!
For a more full, complete list of instructions, check out our article about making dog-cat introductions here!
Are you happy to see the puppy in the video getting all the love from his new mama cat? Would your kitty welcome a puppy into the family? Let us know in the comments below!