At CatTime, we love inter-species friendships. That’s why the video above has us saying, “Awwww!”
As you can see, the puppy in the video is super eager to make friends with a very patient kitty. Luckily, the cat is willing to put up with some puppy antics and ear chomps.
We cat fans know that our felines have no problem telling off anyone who bugs them too much, including adorable pooches. So this cat must not be too unhappy about all the puppy love. And who wouldn’t secretly enjoy some pupper affection?
Of course, you should always make sure your cat is calm and comfortable before introducing a new animal pal, including puppies and dogs. Here are some tips if you plan on bringing home a doggo for your cat!
Tips For Introducing Your Cat To A New Dog(Picture Credit: Spiderplay/Getty Images)
The best thing to do is start off with a cat and dog when they’re both young. If they grow up together, they’ll have a far easier time getting along.
But maybe you’ve already got an adult kitty. How should you go about bringing a new dog home to meet them? Here are some tips:
- Consider adopting an adult or senior dog. Puppies may have too much energy for your cat.
- Pick a dog with a low prey drive. You don’t want them chasing kitty around!
- Make sure your cat has a place to retreat. Some perches or kitty condos will keep them out of pup’s reach.
- Give your kitty their own space. Make sure their bed, litter, food, and water are well away from the doggo.
- Get them used to each other’s scent. Rub a cloth on each pet and place it in the other’s sleeping area or near their food bowl.
- Let them investigate each other’s hangout spots once they start to feel comfortable.
- Make the introduction through a baby gate or door. If they seem interested and sniff each other, let them meet without the baby gate, but restrain the dog just in case.
- Let them warm up to each other. These things take time!
For a more full, complete list of instructions, check out our article about making dog-cat introductions here!
Do you have a cat and a dog? Do they get along this well like the pets in the video? Let us know in the comments below!