Kittens love playtime, as you can see from the rambunctious little feline in the video above. But luckily the kitty’s big, floofy Samoyed brother, Vidor, has plenty of patience.
Vidor seems very content to let his baby cat sibling crawl all over him. And why not? Who doesn’t love a cute fluffball attack? These two prove that clichés about cats and dogs fighting have no place in their family.
If you’d like to bring home a dog like Vidor to introduce to your cat, there are some steps you should take to make sure your resident feline is safe and comfortable. Here’s some advice!
How To Introduce A New Dog To Your Resident Cat(Picture Credit: Zoran Kompar/Getty Images)
The best thing to do is start off with a cat and dog when they’re both young. If they grow up together, they’ll have a far easier time getting along.
But maybe you’ve already got an adult kitty. How should you go about bringing a new dog home to meet them? Here are some tips:
- Consider adopting an adult or senior dog. Puppies may have too much energy for your cat.
- Pick a dog with a low prey drive. You don’t want them chasing kitty around all the time!
- Make sure your cat has a place to retreat. Some perches or kitty condos will keep them out of pup’s reach.
- Give your kitty their own space. Make sure their bed, litter, food, and water are well away from the doggo.
- Get them used to each other’s scent. Rub a cloth on each pet and place it in the other’s sleeping area or near their food bowl.
- Let them investigate each other’s hangout spots once they start to feel comfortable.
- Make the introduction through a baby gate or door. If they seem interested and sniff each other, let them meet without the baby gate, but restrain the dog just in case.
- Let them warm up to each other. These things take time!
For a more full, complete list of instructions, check out our article about making dog-cat introductions here!
Do you have a cat and dog at home? Do they ever play with each other like the kitten and dog in the video? Let us know in the comments below!